In an earlier post, I told you about my New Year’s resolution, and how I’ve made a sacred vow with myself to take FULL advantage of any fantastic deals throughout the year on any gift-able items that would do well for Christmas (or birthdays, etc.), and build up a kind of “Gift Stockpile” in an effort to save money and avoid holiday-related stress come next December.
The Pictionary game (always a favorite) coupon I shared a link for is apparently just the tip of the game night iceberg…there are also $5 off coupons for Taboo, Catch Phrase, Cranium Brain Breaks and Jenga (which is fairly inexpensive to begin with) on coupons.com. Board games are a versatile gift…they are great to give to both children and adults alike.
$5 off games coupons (can be found under zip 15085) at coupons.com
These don’t expire til the middle of next month, so you have plenty of time to track down a great sale and score yourself some really inexpensive gifts. And, as I’ve said before, I’ve seen a few of these games for sale at Dollar General, where they accept manufacturer’s coupons.
“Red Solo Cup…Let’s Have a Party!!”
Or take a cue from Toby Keith and just get a couple games for yourself, settle down with your honey (or a bunch of friends), whip up a batch Pulled Pork Burritos and have a game night while sipping a few brews! (Hint: if playing with adults, the game of Jenga can be “modified” to include challenges and dares on each tile, so that the person pulling out said tile must complete whatever act is written on it…a VERY fun game if you are having friends over for a few drinks!)
- Here’s a link with a TON of dares and creative challenge ideas to write on the Jenga blocks if you have, ummm…writer’s “block” and can’t think of anything better than “Player must take a shot of Tequila”. This site also explains the very simple rules of this “adult” truth or dare game of… inebriated dexterity…is that an oxymoron?? 🙂
- And, while you’re at it, the good folks at Delish.com have come up with a whole boatload of scrumptious appetizer recipes for parties that will make your game night a hit!
- And you’ll need something to wash it all down with…and let’s hope that something contains alcohol for a night with friends!! If you’re feeling brave enough to go beyond the keg and the Red Solo Cup (sorry Toby Keith!), check out these boozalicious party concoctions from thenest.com!! Liquor, beer, wine…they’ve got it all covered in delicious and creative ways…
Have fun leaving the TV behind for an evening!!
Check under zipcode 60712, and you can find a coupon for $5 off any Pictionary Game! This is perfect for my New Year’s resolution…to Christmas shop all year long, as I find awesome deals to add to my “gift” closet, so I can enjoy the Holiday season this time instead of stressing-out last minute about what gifts I do and don’t have!!
Games are always a good bet…they’re bound to fit the bill for someone on your list! My sister and I love giving each other board games for Christmas/birthdays and then playing them that same day to add a little more fun to the festivities!
Pictionary is also a sure winner for any child that loves drawing or art.
Or just buy this for you and your honey to have a good old-fashioned game night with some friends, a bottle of Pinot, and a nice Paella this Friday night!!
And since this is an oldie but goodie, it can often be found at discount stores (such as Dollar General) that accept coupons, so you can probably snag it for a song if your timing is right!!
Give my New Year’s resolution a try and see how quickly you can build up a stockpile of affordable and awesome gifts this year! I’ll be letting you in on any great deals that I find along the way…
$5 off Pictionary Game (coupons.com)
After a particularly harrowing day out at the stores attempting to finish my Christmas shopping (I do most of my gift-buying online to avoid a seasonal hatred of humanity that usually results from being cut in front of in store lines, mowed down by frantic shoppers laden with 25 bags from various stores, and insane Holiday drivers who take traffic rules as mere “suggestions”, etc., etc.), I poured a glass of wine and decided to reflect on a few simple (and frugal) pleasures that make me so giddy I could almost shed a happy tear. Forget the coupon clipping, obsessive sale-hunting, wrapping paper, and family drama for a day and just RELAX!!
Random Happy Moments I Had This December
- Curling up on the couch watching a movie with Mike and my cat Joey…they are the two most cuddly creatures on God’s earth.
- Letting a HUGE pot of homemade chili simmer on the stove for hours (that only cost $4 to put together) and enjoying the anticipatory aroma while all the snuggling takes place…and knowing that chili will feed us for 2 or 3 days.
- Occasionally stirring said chili with a super heavy-duty Pampered Chef spoon I got at a garage sale 5 years ago for 25 cents (it still looks brand new!).
- Going to bed after eating my chili, bellies warm with all the spicy goodness (I even gave my furry family members a few nibbles), on sheets fresh and warm from the dryer, the kind that smell so good you can bury your face in them and take deep breaths and swear it’s what Heaven smells like.
- Waking up in the morning and realizing Mike is spooning me from behind, and Joey is curled up in front of me against my body in a rather human-like sleeping position, using my hand for a pillow for his head, purring away happily.
- Getting puppy kisses first thing out of bed. In my comfy slipper-socks. In front of the fireplace. Oh, yeah…
- Spending a leisurely hour or two browsing through old magazines for decorating/recipe ideas, or reading a new book I borrowed form a friend. NO TV!! Just the sound of the wind, or cars passing outside the big front window, or dogs barking happily in neighbor’s yards.
- Finding a gigantic bag of ripe bananas at the grocery store for under a dollar and baking multiple loaves of banana bread/muffins, and eating some fresh from the oven. Then portioning out the rest for Mike’s lunch for the week.
- Listening to The Beatles or Bob Dylan on vinyl. The sound is amazing. Nothing can touch it.
- Taking a stroll after dark and checking out all the houses in my neighborhood all decked out for Christmas, and breathing in that crisp, clean winter air.
What are the simple things you’re thankful for this Holiday Season? Put away the credit cards and wrapping paper and stress for a day! Merry Christmas my friends!!