Although I enjoy cooking from scratch a good percentage of the time (maybe it’s just that cute retro apron from Anthropologie that I bought for myself on clearance last Christmas…), Giant Eagle and Shop ‘n Save were having some FANTASTIC stockpile deals on some semi-convenience foods this week, so I took the opportunity to buy enough to more than fill the cupboards. Awesome promotions, free meat Catalina coupons at checkout, and clipped coupons from the paper all converging together to bring prices down to over 85% off? Who could resist?? Now Mike and I are SO thoroughly prepared for any lazy cooking days I might have, that we may have to be lazy more often to make room in the cabinets again!
Anyway, the Coinstar machine only gave me $24.83 to work with after I fed it all my loose change collected over the past week…here’s what I managed to buy with that!
- 15 Hamburger/Tuna/Chicken helpers in various flavors
- 6 Betty Crocker Potato Sides (Au Gratin, Scalloped, Julienne…in various flavors)
- 8 Zatarain’s Rice Mixes (Jambalaya, Dirty Rice, Black Beans and Rice…I like to add smoked sausage/chicken/shrimp to these for a quick meal when I don’t feel like making it from scratch…I LOVE Cajun/Creole cooking, and I swear the flavor can’t be beat for a boxed mix!)
- 2 Betty Crocker Supreme Brownie Mixes (chocolate chunk and frosted)
- 2 boxes of San Giorgio Linguine (plan on making some kick-butt Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta)
- 4 jars of Ragu sauce (Marinara, 4 Cheese Marinara, Alfredo and Cheese Sauce)
- 1 packet of Sun Bird’s General Tso’s Seasoning Mix (one of our favorites…fast, simple, delicious)
- 1 box of Chicken Patties
- 1 loaf of Giant Eagle brand bread
- 1 lb of ground pork
- 2 lbs of ground chuck
- 2 Soft Soap foaming hand soaps
- 1 bag of Fresh Step kitty litter (for stinky Joey!)
- 1 can Campbell’s Nacho Cheese Soup (for cooking)
- 4 rolls of toilet paper (would’ve bought more, but that’s enough to get us through the week until a better coupon+sale deal comes around)
Again, I stocked up on some frozen veggies last week when they were on sale, and the rest of my fresh veggies/fruit comes from friend’s gardens.
So the retail value of all this (and I lost my receipt, so I’ll have to guesstimate!) would be around: $107.17
I spent: $31.44 ($6.61 over my spare change budget)
Pretty close to a 75% savings! Not too bad…
🙂 If you’re new to the blog and would like to be kept updated of coupon matchups and printable coupon updates from stores like Giant Eagle, Target, Shop ‘n Save, Rite Aid…and be alerted to fantastic online deals for home decor, fashion, and Christmas/birthday gifts...just click the Sign Me Up button near the top of the blog to subscribe for FREE!! Don’t ever pay insane grocery prices again, and save extra money to put towards a new car, vacation, home or whatever else your hard-working heart desires! With an email subscription you’ll be alerted via email of any new posts to the blog, so you’ll never miss out on a crazy-valuable internet coupon again (they go quick!), and you’ll be able to find the best deals before you go grocery shopping without spending hours researching sales and finding obscure coupons on the internet (leave that to me!) 🙂
And don’t forget to leave a comment below(or use the link at the beginning of the post) if you’d like to brag about your incredible prowess at snagging a buggy full of groceries for little more than pocket change…I love to read about other people’s deals and steals…