Each week I’ll be sharing a recipe (or two!) thats ingredients are based around GREAT grocery store deals I’ve featured in this blog, allowing you (and me!) to whip up some super-yummy, incredibly easy, and, best of all, insanely INEXPENSIVE dinners! I know that sometimes, especially if you’re new to the concepts of couponing and stockpiling, that it seems as if you’re purchasing a bunch of seemingly random (but very cheap, if not free!) ingredients that seem to have no common denominator when it comes to constructing a meal. Fret not! I’m here to show you that the haphazard deals you’ve been taking advantage of do indeed fit together to make some great meals! It may take a few weeks, but soon you’ll have more options in your cupboard or freezer than you know what to do with, and the best part of it is, the total price of the necessary ingredients will rarely exceed the price of a news-stand magazine, and will feed at least four people.
You can also try visiting allrecipes.com and using their advanced search options to explore thousands of user-rated recipes based on what ingredients you do (or don’t) have on hand. This is a great way to discover a new taste based on what deals you’ve snagged in the past couple of weeks, or based on what’s been sitting in your freezer or cabinets that needs to be cooked up before it expires.
Today’s recipe is courtesy of the good people at the National Pork Board. Check out their website for tons of tips, tricks, information and recipes dealing with any and all pork products! You can even request several FREE brochures on the site that include a ton of yummy recipes for everything from Thai Pork Burritos to Ham and Spaghetti Alfredo. I received my booklets super-fast, and was surprised at the variety and creativity of the recipes inside!
Fiesta Pork Soup (recipe courtesy of The National Pork Board)
Ingredients (with pricing based on grocery deals featured in this blog from the past few weeks):
- 1 lb ground pork (FREE if you took advantage of Giant Eagles Hamburger Helper/$2 off Meat Catalina deal available until 9/14…if you only bought 5 Hamburger Helpers (I bought a TON), it may end up costing you around $1 above your $2 Catalina coupon.
- One 14 1/2 oz can of chicken broth (If you made your own from a leftover chicken carcass and a few herbs/carrots/onions, the cost of this amount of homemade broth will be around 25 cents. If not, you can get it around $1 with smart shopping.)
- One 8 oz jar of picante sauce ( If you snagged up Shop ‘n Saves great Ortega deal last week, this would’ve cost you around 40 cents!)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin (cost negligible)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (cost negligible)
- One 11 oz can condensed fiesta nacho cheese soup (Use this 40 cents/3 Campbell’s Condensed Soups coupon, or clip it from your 9/11 SmartSource insert from this week’s Sunday Paper and get a can for only 33 cents!)
- 1 cup small round tortilla chips (optional garnish…go generic and spend around 25 cents or less)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (if you followed the blog this week and got your Heluva Good Sour Cream on sale at Giant Eagle or Shop ‘n Save, your entire container of sour cream would’ve been 66 cents…1/4 cup of it, around 16 cents!!)
- In a medium saucepan, cook pork until browned, stirring often. Drain.
- Add chicken broth, picante sauce, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cheese soup, and simmer until heated through, DO NOT BOIL.
- Pour into serving bowls, and garnish with tortilla soup and/or dollops of sour cream.
It’s that easy! And the entire cost of this recipe (which serves 5 people, or will feed your frugal twosome for 2 days and then some) is only $2.64!! That’s only 53 cents per serving… you can’t beat those numbers! 🙂
Couldn’t make this dinner for the price I quoted because you didn’t know about the grocery deals listed above? Don’t want to miss out on another great opportunity to create an awesome homemade meal for mere pennies? Subscribe to Frugal for Two (for FREE) and you’ll receive instant email updates of grocery store deals, printable coupons, retail shopping deals, freebies, cheapies, frugal recipes and anything else I post on the blog! Scarlett O’Hara, you’ll never go hungry again!!