Ok guys, I think I have an addiction. With eating this stuff. Damn and blast you Carly!! (my friend)…Seriously though, this is probably one of the easiest, cheapest, tastiest dessert/snack recipes out there…when I first tried it at a party I couldn’t believe how simple the ingredients/instructions were!! This is great for an after-school treat…or an awesome snack to bring to a cocktail party or a friend’s dinner party. Tastes BETTER than toffee…but it’s so, so simple to make!! Anyway, next time you need to bring something sweet somewhere, and don’t have a lot of time (or baking skills for that matter, like me), bring this and everyone will be kissing your…feet…
Carly’s Mock Toffee
You will need:
- 2.5 to 3 sticks of butter
- 1 and 3/4 cups of brown sugar
- Club Crakers (about a sleeve, enough to cover a cookie sheet)…yes, you can use other brands/varieties of buttery crackers, but NO the finished product will not be as good, so do yourself a favor and just get Keebler Club Crackers for this recipe! (I think they are actually on sale at GE right now!)
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- Preheat an oven/toaster oven to 350 degrees. Get your taste buds ready!
- Line a 9” by 13” cookie sheet (use one with a slight lip to it, like a jelly-roll pan) with foil and add a heavy dose of Pam/similar cooking spray.
- Melt the butter on low to medium low heat in a sauce pan. After butter is melted, add the brown sugar and bring to a SLIGHT boil. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BURN!! Stir the mixture constantly for around five minutes.
- Spread a single layer of the Club Crackers over your foil-lined cookie sheet. Pour the butter and brown sugar over the crackers and bake at 350 degrees until bubbly (this should take 5-7 minutes).
- Take out of the oven and immediately spread the chocolate chips over the cracker/butter/brown sugar mixture with a spatula while everything is still pipin’ hot.
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer, and leave it there until hardened. (around 15-30 mins)
- Take the cookie sheet out, pull out the foil, and fold your mock toffee concoction in half. Place the whole folded dessert in a large Ziplock bag and go to town haphazardly breaking everything apart into small, bite-sized chunks.
- Serve and enjoy!! DO NOT mail me any consequent dental bills for cavities resulting from any excessive, prolonged snacking on this stuff. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!
- WARNING!! If you don’t plan to eat this immediately (and you should!)…keep it in the refrigerator or the crackers will get soggy and the chocolate will start to melt.
Sleeve of Club Crackers (75 cents at the highest, 35 cents during a good sale)
Butter (up to $2…if you got it at GE this week, around 25 cents)
Brown sugar (25 to 75 cents depending where you bought it/coupons/etc)
Chocolate chips (depending on how much you use, and where you got them…50 cents to $1.50…there is a coupon for chocolate chips in one of the recent coupon inserts…or check out your local Aldi’s)
Total Cost of Super-Deliciously Addictive Dessert: $1.75 to $5.00, depending on how crafty you are with purchasing your ingredients (READ THIS BLOG!!).
No matter what the cost, this stuff is worth EVERY penny… 🙂 Happy Munching!!
As always, please leave a comment at the end of this post (or click on the comment tab at the beginning of it)…and if you don’t want to miss out on any deliciously cheap recipes/coupon deals/frugal tips a subscription is ALWAYS free!! Just click the SIGN ME UP button and all posts will be delivered right to your email inbox!!